Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Vegan Cupcakes!

{All photos courtesy of Aimee Franson}

My younger sister made my mom and I some vegan cupcakes yesterday! My mom is still in the hospital, but she is getting better. My mom said they looked delicious (and they were) but was unable to eat them, so the nurses got them!

For a vegan cupcake, these were amazingly moist. I'm not sure where my sister got the recipe from, but she emailed it to me.

Ingredients: Makes 12!
Cake Part:
  • 1 cup soy milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Frosting:

  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp almond milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
Cake:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F and line the cupcake pan with liners.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the soy milk and vinegar. Set aside for a few minutes for it to curdle.
  3. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Whisk together until foamy.
  4. Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk together until no lumps remain.
  5. Divide the mixture evenly between the liners. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a clean toothpick comes out of the center. Cool completely before frosting.
Frosting:
  1. Mix all together until fluffy.
  2. Garnish with a blueberry, blackberry, and mint leaf. This is totally up to you what you garnish with, though!
I really hope you guys enjoy these as much as I did. Please post the link in the comment section if you've made anything vegan lately! :)

xo. Nicole

4 comments

  1. these look really delicious! and i love the flower cake rack :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, my mom has had that thing forever. Thanks :)

      xo

      Delete
  2. These look amazing! I haaave to try making these for my quitting sbux party.

    ReplyDelete