Saturday, August 24, 2013

Our Wedding: The Ceremony

Our ceremony was one of the main things we got compliments on, and people are still talking about it almost 3 months later! I hardly remember it, everything's a blur, but I've been told there wasn't a dry eye. I remember coming down the stairs and focusing on Rob the entire way down the aisle. I had been holding in tears all day and when it came my turn to say my vows, I burst out in to a blubbering mess! We did a Celtic Handfasting Ceremony along with some personal vows, and none of our guests had seen it done before. Our commissioner had also never done it before, so we did a quick rehearsal a week before the wedding. Everything went smoothly! Except I didn't know when to give my bouquet to my Maid of Honor...so that was pretty awkward..

During the Celtic Handfasting Ceremony, a ribbon is looped around the bride and groom's right hands, which are held by each other. The colors of the ribbon depend on the meaning. It only takes a quick Google search to decipher the meanings. We chose purple, white and blue because they're our favorite colors though, then I braided them together. My Maid of Honor and the Best Man each took a turn looping the ribbon over our hands after each question was asked. The commissioner asked us 6 questions, and we answered "We do". Then it came time for our personal vows (cue crying), putting the rings on, the kiss, and signing the registry!

We walked back down the aisle to Boston's 'More Than a Feeling' and our bridal party followed. It felt amazing to walk back down the aisle with my new husband!

xo. Nicole

2 comments

  1. This is beautiful! I've never see the Celtic hand ceremony before. That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple years ago I went to a wedding with a handfasting and I loved the idea! It really made the ceremony more personal!

    ReplyDelete