Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Whole30 Essentials

After posting a status update on Facebook about how from the period of January 2 to March 2, I've lost 20 lbs (!!!), I'm always being asked by random people, friends, and family, how to get started on Whole30. I HIGHLY suggest reading the book, It Starts With Food. It explains everything about why we don't eat legumes, and why you cut off the fat from the meat if you don't buy organic, etc.. I have a lot to post and share with you on the subject, but right now I'll share what I always keep on hand at home!
alamaxfield
Ah, meat and protein. It's essential because it keeps you full and energized until your next meal! There's a lot of debate going on about pork. They say it's one of the dirtiest meats and to only buy organic if you do want to eat it. Seriously, easier said than done. I haven't eaten, nor purchased, any organic/grass-fed meat during my entire experience on Whole30. I'm sure I would feel a little better without the extra toxins and whatnot, but so far this is working for me and our budget.

Eggs are a must, unless of course you're allergic. There's plenty of eggless breakfast recipes, but I prefer my eggs. I usually fry two up (yolk cracked..I hate runny yolk!) in some EVOO + garlic powder, then plop them on a plate of spinach. It's a filling and tasty breakfast!
alamaxfield
I cut up a banana with almost every meal and if not, then I add some berries. Sometimes I'm just not hungry enough for fruit (which is the last thing I eat). Almost all the vegetables are so delicious when you toss them in the oven. My signature side is a vegetable all chopped up, EVOO, and some salt or garlic powder. So, so delicious. Part of Whole30 is also trying new vegetables. I had never had spaghetti squash before and I'll never give it up! I forgot to add yams to my veggie list - add it :)
alamaxfield
If you're following my social media accounts, you'll often see me mention that I've added EVOO in to my meal, and now you know what it is! It's pretty much 100% an essential in my cooking. I used to use cooking spray or butter in the frying pan, but now I only use EVOO. There's something called Ghee but I haven't been able to find one that is at a decent price. I'd rather sample it before spending that much on a tiny jar. Oh, also, add cinnamon to this list!!
alamaxfield
The above Extras are totally what get me through. The salsa is amazing on eggs or on some vegetables. I use the almond butter after I workout with a banana or an apple, sometimes even with a sprinkle of cinnamon. I broke down this week (Day 20 of round 2) and purchased some almonds and pitted dates to make some home made LaraBars! They're a great emergency food, but per the Whole30 guidelines, are not to be a snack or a meal substitute.

I hope my lists help you on your journey! You'll figure out what works for you and what doesn't. For me, white potatoes make me crash too hard so I opt for yams. Things like that are just part of the journey!

xo. Nicole

No comments

Post a Comment