Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Saturday Crafting

My friend and I get together about every 2 weeks for some brunch and some crafts! It's become something that I really look forward to during the week, and I'm excited for the Summer when we can have more brunch dates. We take turns hosting and picking/preparing for the crafts. It works out pretty well for us! We've had a few craft fails and successes, but it's always fun trying new things. This past weekend, it was my friend's turn and she picked these watercolour tile coasters!
alamaxfield
After some trial and error, we figured out the best way to make the colours stay, rather than just disappearing. We used 91% alcohol, food colouring, and matches. We had to use a lot of alcohol, dip the food colouring on it, mix the colours however we wanted using a q-tip or blowing on it, then adding more alcohol and lighting it on fire. We let it burn until the flames went out. They took forever to dry and it was tricky transporting mine home, but after a quick varnish spray they were good to go! 
alamaxfield
As my luck goes, after I sprayed the clear varnish on my tiles and went back inside, it started sprinkling outside. I was upset at first but noticed it made them look even better! 
alamaxfield
alamaxfield
 These were so fun, and so easy, that I don't want you to be surprised if you get a coaster set for Christmas ;) It's my turn to host brunch on the 6th of July, and I'm still not sure what we'll do, or what we'll eat. Any ideas?

xo. Nicole

No comments

Post a Comment